The Shared Decision Making Collaborative
AXIS Medical education has brought together experts in the field of Shared Decision Making to assist in integrating SDM centered principles into our certified continuing education. This Collaborative will work together to develop curriculum and resource support materials to further the patient-provider treatment discussion.
Shared Decision Making
AXIS Medical Education is a leader in the Shared Decision Making initiative. AXIS is committed to:
- Help facilitate closing educational gaps and overcome perceived challenges among oncology HCPs regarding Shared Decision Making
- AXIS has 5 certified Master Trainers in the AHRQ Share Approach
- AXIS is applying our working knowledge of the ever-expanding field of Shared Decision Making and incorporating these elements into our core curriculum offerings of certified education
Definition - Shared decision making (SDM) takes into consideration patient values and preferences, as a cornerstone for treatment decisions; and is a proven tool for improving satisfaction and adherence.
The Oncology Shared Decision Making Resource Center®
The OSDMRC is dedicated to advancing the call to action for shared decision-making in oncology clinical practice through providing turnkey and trustworthy educational resources and tools to advance SDM and patient engagement.
Materials are shared with a national target audience through The Oncology Shared Decision Making Resource Center® (OSDMRC). The OSDMRC is located on the AXIS website and houses certified education, SDM tools, resources, decision support aides and other collateral materials co-created by the OSDMC and AXIS.
The Shared Decision Making Collaborative
The SDMC is comprised of like-minded experts in SDM and patient engagement. This panel serves in an advisory capacity to AXIS Medical Education, providing expertise and counsel on development of SDM facilitator guides, tool kits, decision support aides and other collateral materials that support shared decision-making in oncology clinical practice associated with both certified and non-certified educational activities.
The living mission of the SDMC is to provide expert advisement and consultation toward shifting the power paradigm among patients and clinicians by co-creating tools and resources that facilitate building stronger and more collaborative patient-provider relationships.
The goal of the SDMC is to enhance effective shared medical decision-making between patients with cancer, their caregivers/family, and the healthcare team by implementing methods to assure that medical decisions are well-informed by best available evidence and consistent with patient preferences.
The SDMC will focus on driving educational tools and resources that support enhanced shared decision making in which patient preferences, along with those of their caregivers and family, are central to this process and will further distill why and how patients can and should play an important role in their cancer care.
- Identify best practices for providing and implementing SDM in oncology, and measuring decision quality/effectiveness, and
- Implement and disseminate these best practices nation-wide, to reduce or eliminate unwarranted variation in preference-sensitive care for patients with cancer.
AXIS has established an advisory board to assist in the following:
- Answering the National Quality Forum’s call to action toward making SDM a standard of care delivery
- Developing a nationwide campaign through the resources we co-create to increase utilization and overcome barriers to SDM in cancer care
- Beginning to facilitate closing educational gaps with regards to SDM in oncology clinical practice, as part of AXIS Medical Education core business strategies
- Serve as potential faculty speakers for SDM-centric grass roots education to state hospital association leadership through our joint providership network of 34 state hospital associations
- AXIS is forging partnerships across the care continuum to ensure representation of relevant stakeholders who have a voice in recommending quality measures and improved strategies toward greater patient health outcomes
- Partnership resources which AXIS will tap into to further our mission and cause
For more information or to request information on joining
The Oncology Shared Decision Making Collaborative: